Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tip #5

I recently went through all our galleys at Pyramid and found a surprising number of them had no Type Identification Form. So, this week's tip is to please use this form!!


I understand that when you're in the studio, you're eager  to work on your projects and to get to the printing. But the form isn't just a pointless administrative hoop that I want you to jump through! We have many typefaces that look alike (18 point Optima regular vs 18 point Optima semi-bold, for example). It can be difficult to remember what typeface you used months, or even years later if you weren't dilligent about distributing your type immediately after printing. The form also lets us know who set the type and how long it's been set. We allow you to leave your set type in the galleys for a year. After that, it should be re-sorted.

Here are photos of the orphaned type that I found. I took the liberty of reversing the photos so you can more easily read what the type says. If this is your type, please come and re-sort it or label it (I hope you remember what typefaces you used!) Tonight is a Letterpress Happy Hour night, so that would be a great time to distribute your type!





1 comment:

  1. That form saved me last night...you would think after only a week, I'd still have been able to remember which type I used. Not so (though the baby may have something to do with that:)

    ReplyDelete